Paperless-ngx is a community-supported open-source document management system that transforms your physical documents into a searchable online archive so you can keep, well, less paper.
- Organize and index your scanned documents with tags, correspondents, types, and more.
- Your data is stored locally on your server and is never transmitted or shared in any way.
- Performs OCR on your documents, adding searchable and selectable text, even to documents scanned with only images.
- Utilizes the open-source Tesseract engine to recognize more than 100 languages.
- Documents are saved as PDF/A format which is designed for long term storage, alongside the unaltered originals.
- Uses machine-learning to automatically add tags, correspondents and document types to your documents.
- Supports PDF documents, images, plain text files, Office documents (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and LibreOffice equivalents)1 and more.
- Paperless stores your documents plain on disk. Filenames and folders are managed by paperless and their format can be configured freely with different configurations assigned to different documents.
- Beautiful, modern web application that features:
- Customizable dashboard with statistics.
- Filtering by tags, correspondents, types, and more.
- Bulk editing of tags, correspondents, types and more.
- Drag-and-drop uploading of documents throughout the app.
- Customizable views can be saved and displayed on the dashboard and / or sidebar.
- Support for custom fields of various data types.
- Shareable public links with optional expiration.
- Full text search helps you find what you need:
- Auto completion suggests relevant words from your documents.
- Results are sorted by relevance to your search query.
- Highlighting shows you which parts of the document matched the query.
- Searching for similar documents ("More like this")
- Email processing1: import documents from your email accounts:
- Configure multiple accounts and rules for each account.
- After processing, paperless can perform actions on the messages such as marking as read, deleting and more.
- A built-in robust multi-user permissions system that supports 'global' permissions as well as per document or object.
- A powerful workflow system that gives you even more control.
- Optimized for multi core systems: Paperless-ngx consumes multiple documents in parallel.
- The integrated sanity checker makes sure that your document archive is in good health.
Paperless, a history
Paperless-ngx is the official successor to the original Paperless & Paperless-ng projects and is designed to distribute the responsibility of advancing and supporting the project among a team of people. Consider joining us!
Paperless-ngx aims to be as nice to use as it is useful. Check out some screenshots below.
The dashboard shows saved views which can be sorted. Documents can be uploaded with the button or dropped anywhere in the application.
The document list provides three different styles to browse your documents.
Use the 'slim' sidebar to focus on your docs and minimize the UI.
Of course, Paperless-ngx also supports dark mode:
Quickly find documents with extensive filtering mechanisms.
And perform bulk edit operations to set tags, correspondents, etc. as well as permissions.
Side-by-side editing of documents.
Tag, correspondent, document type and storage path editing.
Mobile devices are supported.
Feature requests can be submitted via GitHub Discussions where you can search for existing ideas, add your own and vote for the ones you care about.
People interested in continuing the work on paperless-ngx are encouraged to reach out on GitHub or the Matrix chat room. If you would like to contribute to the project on an ongoing basis there are multiple teams (frontend, ci/cd, etc) that could use your help so please reach out!
Paperless-ngx is available in many languages that are coordinated on Crowdin. If you want to help out by translating paperless-ngx into your language, please head over to the Paperless-ngx project at Crowdin, and thank you!
Scanners & Software
Paperless-ngx is compatible with many different scanners and scanning tools. A user-maintained list of scanners and other software is available on the wiki.